Information for Ukrainian refugees

On this page we provide you with all the information you and other Ukrainians may need during your time in our municipality. This includes information about shelter, registration and healthcare. Can't find the answer to your question? Ask your question by mail:


Right now, all municipal shelters are full. We have no room for new arrivals. You can report to the central reception locations in Amsterdam, Utrecht and Rotterdam. There you will receive immediate emergency accommodation and from these locations you will be mediated to a shelter in the country.

Shelter if you can no longer live with the host family

The municipality will not automatically arrange for you to be transferred from a host family to a municipal shelter. Or vice versa. 

Would you like to make use of a shelter offered by the municipality? Then sent a mail to:,  The municipality will arrange a shelter for you. Shelters are spread across the Kennemerland region. Therefore, it's possible that you will be accommodated outside the municipality of Velsen. Please, do not contact us lastminute. We need time to find a solution.
You need to arrange your own transport to your new shelter. The municipality does not provide this.


You can register yourself (and your family) in the Personal Records Database. Through this process you receive a citizen service number (BSN). This will enable you to get work, health insurance or a Dutch bank account.

Get in touch

If you are staying with a (Dutch) family, you can make a registration appointment by calling +31 255 567200.

Important documents

Please bring the following documents to your appointment:

  • A valid international passport. If you do not have a valid international passport, a proof of identity from the Ukrainian embassy will suffice.
  • Your birth certificate, if you are able.
  • Your marriage certificate, if you are married and if you are able.
  • A Ukrainian residence permit, if you are a third-country national who lived in Ukraine.

Safe handling of information

Rest assured, we handle your personal information with the utmost care. Your information will only be reviewed by municipality employees and will not be shared with third parties.

Moving within Velsen or moving abroad

Are you Ukrainian and moving within Velsen or are you leaving the Netherlands? It is important to let the municipality know. You can call to +31 255 567200 to make an appointment or for more information. 


Under normal circumstances you would need a valid passport to register in Velsen municipality. However, given the current situation you can contact the Ukrainian Embassy in the Hague to receive a proof of identity. There are multiple ways to get in touch with the embassy:

Living allowance

If you do not have enough money to live on, you can apply for a living allowance.


Once you have a citizen service number (BSN), you can receive urgent medical care without health insurance.
Health is a fundamental human right. That is precisely why you can receive healthcare if you require urgent medical care. Both in our municipality and across the Netherlands. When you visit a general practitioner or hospital you are entitled to the right care. You do not need to be a registered civilian or have insurance to get the treatment you need, albeit psychological  or physical care.
More information about healthcare you can find at Refugeehelpexterne-link-icoon or at Zorgverzekeringslijnexterne-link-icoon

Where to go for medical care

If you are registered with the municipality of Velsen and you need medical care, you can contact your General Practitioner. If the General Practitioner thinks you need more care, you will be referred. 

General Practitioner

Ukrainian refugees who are taken in by host families can visit the host family's General Practitioner.

Urgent care

For emergency care, Ukrainian refugees can of course use hospital emergency services.


Ukrainian refugees can get a prescription for medication through their General Practitioner. The pharmacy is familiar with the regulations that apply to this.


Children aged 4 to 17 who came to the Netherlands from Ukraine have a right to education. 
Children aged 4 and 5 can be enrolled at a regular primary school. This can be any school near the reception address. Education is free of charge.
Children aged 6 and older can attend newcomer education, where they learn the Dutch language, among other things.

Newcomer education locations

There are four locations where children can attend. Parents can register their children themselves. Education is free of charge. After the child has been registered, the school helps with transport to and from school.

Primary school education - 6 to 12 years

  • Children from Velsen-Noord can be registered at the ITK De Fakkel: Bachstraat 20, 1962 BD Heemskerk. Telephone number 0251 231093. E-mail:
  • Children from the rest of Velsen can be registered with the ITK Haarlem: Pr. Beatrixdreef 6, 2033 TX Haarlem. Telephone number 023 7078260. E-mail:

Secondary education - 12 to 17 years

Initiatives and free time

You can go to one of the three large playgrounds in Velsen for free with your child (up to 10 years). If your child is between 10 and 18 years old, your child is eligible for a free 10-bath card. Read the conditions below.

Swimming pool Heerenduinen

If your child is between 10 and 18 years old, your child can receive a free 10-bath card when you have a low income. Send your request by mail, in English to Please let us know in your request the address of your stay. 

Please note! Does your child do not have a swimming diploma? Then your child will only be admitted to the swimming pool accompanied by an adult. The adult must pay an entrance fee for the swimming pool.

The house rules of the swimming pool can be found at The house rules are also available in English at the bottom of the page.


Children up to the age of 10 are eligible for a free season ticket at one of the following playgrounds:

  • Stichting 'De Veilige Haven', Heerenduinweg 6a, IJmuiden 
  • Speeltuin Santpoort, Valckenhoeflaan 2, Santpoort-Noord 
  • Speeltuin Zeewijk Natuurlijk, Dennekoplaan 96, 1974 VC IJmuiden

Send your request by mail in English to Please let us know in your request the address of your stay. 

Sports clubs

Registering with a sports club is goes directly via the sports club. Check the website of the sports club where you want to work out how you can register. This can often be done via a registration form or to contact them via email.

Still having trouble getting in touch with the sports club? Then we are happy to help you. Send an email (preference in English) to Tell us how the name of the sports club you want to sign up. To speed up the process, please let us know:

  • How many persons you want to register at the sports club?
  • How old are you? How old are they?
  • What is your gender? What is their gender?

General information

You can find a lot of practical information on the website of RefugeeHelpexterne-link-icoon. The information is available in Ukrainian, English or Russian.
You also can contact the Dutch branch of the Red Crossexterne-link-icoon by sending a WhatsApp (voice) message to +31 6 48 15 8053. You can leave a message in Ukrainian, English or Russian. Someone will then contact you in your preferred language.

You can also visit the consultation hour. Refugee Council Netherlands offers consultation hours for refugees from Ukraine every Thursday. During the consultation hour, support is offered on topics such as work, income, health care and education.

  • When: every Thursday. 
  • Time: free walk-in between 1:30 - 3:30 p.m.
  • Location: De Beurs, 6th floor at Plein 1945, number 84, 1971 GC IJmuiden.

For general questions call Vluchtelingenwerk Velsen 0255 522822 or e-mail Only communication in English and Dutch is possible.

Public transport

Public transport in the Netherlands is a paid service. You need a charged OV chip card. In the bus you can also buy a ticket directly from the driver with a debit card. Cash payment is not possible.